Your sister got her long awaited rabbit today. You were so excited just to touch it but big sis was nervous. She was worried you and your brother would be too rambunctious and scare it. Still, you persisted in your asking and eventually got your way. You were so determined to prove that you could be gentle. You softly petted its fur while it sat calmly on your little lap. And you really did a great job. But don't expect too many opportunities. She moved the rabbit to her room later that day!
Well, my darling. The day finally arrived and you got your little bunny. I hope she is everything you wanted in a bunny. Sweet and playful. Delicate yet mischievous. They say we pick pets that reflect our personalities. Or is it appearance? Regardless, this is how I would describe my little bunny.
I am becoming more and more aware of time and it's passing when I look at you lately. I'm sure it was only a yesterday ago that you would have fit on this bike perfectly. Your chubby little legs either side with your feet fitting perfectly at the pedals. Now you appear such a big boy to me. But the truly awesome thing is; that heart of yours never changes. You are still my sweet, sensitive baby that only ever wants me to be happy. That jumps to my defense whenever anyone picks on me. And tells me I'm beautiful on a daily basis, especially if I'm having a bad day. I know your goodness is something that will never change, no matter how big you get. 
Today, during a family trip to the Hopkinton fair, you had your first, sweet taste of fried dough. It didn't matter that your brother and sister had literally smothered theirs in chocolate and maple syrup with tons of sugar, you thought it was delicious. Your dad, taking his first much-deserved break from his diet, kindly shared his with you. I love how you can clearly see the concern on your face that he may forget and eat your promised share. But of course, he didn't.
I was genuinely surprised today. While at the Hopkinton fair, you chose to do rock climbing. This is something that you've never done before and, as far as I knew, had no interest in. So naturally, I checked (double/triple checked) to make sure that you were sure. But you insisted so I backed off. Part of me was nervous that you'd get hurt and the other part was worried for your pride if you felt scared and wanted down. You surprised me again though by doing impressively well and coming down smiling. That's my boy!
As you all grow up and hit those 'cool' teenage years, I don't imagine that there will be too many moments like this. Where all three of you are sharing a common activity and playing peacefully together. Technically Ryder is playing on Mom's phone here but we were all enjoying each other and being together :) 
POW! BAM! SMACK! Are the common sounds I hear throughout the house these days. Like little lion cubs you wrestle and play at any time of day.  Sometimes with 'weapons' and sometimes not. Here big brother is teaching little brother how to fight as he imitates the moves carefully. Though it drives me crazy (especially when the inevitable tears follow or a loud breakage!) and though I may boot you out of the house to continue your 'battles' (especially if they occur while I'm cooking in the kitchen), it actually really warms my heart to see my boys bonding this way. I can't help but smile. I know one day I will be longing for these sounds to fill our quiet home again.
You chose this star fish at your cousin Katy's birthday party when little gifts were handed out. I didn't think you'd give it a second thought after that but I looked after it for you just in case. The next day you asked me where it was and happily took it from me. Then ran to the bathroom with it to put in the sink so it would grow. Instead, I put it in an extra large mixing bowl filled with water for you and explained that it may take a few days to get as big as it could get. I also put that bowl out of your reach because I just knew you would not be able to patiently leave it alone. This didn't stop you from asking to see if ten times a day! Each time I was happy to show you and each time you smiled like this. 

Comments